niedziela, 4 lutego 2018

D-Day

For many years I've played only "fantasy" and "sci-fi" wargames, completely neglecting the historical ones. On purpose, cause dragons, fairies and lasers are way more colorful and sexy. Anyway, about a year ago I've decided to give historical games a chance. I chose the one that new to me for two reasons. One - there were no dragons, and reason number 2 - it was in 15mm scale. I've never played such tiny models before, and chose to give it a try.

Now, after quite a few games played, I can tell you - I were right. Flames of War, the game I'm talking about, is very interesting and fun to play. My initial choice were the Red Army, but eventually I bought myself a box of British Paratroopers, the so-called Red Devils. Then, as usual, I bought many, many more boxes, and currently I have Paratroopers, Commandos, several armoured companies, and several squads of recce.

Several weeks ago I had a chance to participate in my first tournament, and, praise beginner's luck, managed to win. That gave me some courage and pushed me forward. And forward in this case meant towards Zielona Góra. The tournament was a bit unusual, due to several tiny modifications made by org's. The most important one was the river across every table, separating both deployment zones. That proved to be quite difficult for most of the armies. I've decided to be prepared, and chose this company:


Three plutons of Shermans DD, one pluton of Fireflies, one Motorized Company, one pluton of Achilleses, artillery, Typhoon and two AA Crusaders. Out of five battles I've managed to win only two. Despite that, I won a small prize:


Next tournament is in Warsaw, in just two weeks, and I've prepared three companies to choose from. I still have some time, but the choice ain't easy...

First is a bit similar to my list I wrote about above, but with more tanks. It's British Armored (11'th Division) from Overlord book:

HQ: 4 Sherman V with AA MG
CP1: 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly (1 AA MG)
CP2: 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly (1 AA MG)
CP3: 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly
CP4: 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly
WP1: 2 Crusader AA
SP1: 4 Ahillles
SP2: 4 OQF 25pdr gun
AS: Limited Typhoon

Whole company it rated Confident Trained, which allows me to take as many tanks.

Second one has the same approach, but is a bit faster. It's 11'th Division British Armored Recce from Market Garden book:

HQ: 2 Cromwell IV
CP1: 2 Cromwell IV, 1 Challenger A30
CP2: 2 Cromwell IV, 1 Challenger A30
CP3: 2 Cromwell IV, 1 Challenger A30
CP4: 2 Cromwell IV, 1 Challenger A30
SP1: 4 OQF 25pdr gun
SP2: 4 OQF 25pdr gun
SP3: 2 40mm Bofors SP
AS: Limited Typhoon

HQ and Combat Platoons are Confident Trained, but Support Platoons are Confident Veteran, which makes ranging with artillery way easier, and makes it a bit more survivable.

Those two lists are, what I call, mainstream. The third one is all but. It's British Commando Company from Market Garden:

HQ: 1 Commando Rifle
CP1: 6 Commando Rifle + Command
CP2: 6 Commando Rifle + Command
CP3: 6 Commando Rifle + Command
CP4: 6 Commando Rifle + Command
CP5: 3x ML3" mortar
SP1: Breaching Group (Sherman V + 2 Sherman Crab) + 2 AVRE
SP2: Breaching Group (Sherman V + 2 Sherman Crab) + 2 AVRE
SP3: 4 OQF 25pdr gun
SP4: 4 OQF 25pdr gun
AS: Limited Typhoon

I think the second one is the best, but I will play it only if I manage to buy and paint five Cromwells in two weeks. If not, I'll probably use the first one, but that Commando Platoon sounds stupid enough that it may actually work :) Till next time.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz